Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Revolving Door....


The title of my blog says it all.  I'm home on a Friday night because I didn't have to work at Anthropologie tonight.  However, I did work at the British International School with a man that looked just like Ben Affleck.  That totally made my day.  But the point of this blog is to say  that my living situation is really quite interesting when I think about it.  I was hoping to have the evening to myself because I cherish those moments. but no, that is not the case.  I am sitting at home with the guy I'm subletting my room from.  He has used the bathroom 4 times since he has been here and he's only been here an hour....that's where all of the freaking toilet paper is going.  So annoying.  But what is more annoying is that he is sitting here making the most disgusting mouth noises especially when he eats his two cups of chiobani yogurt and licks the lid clean like a dog.  I literally cannot handle it and think I am going to be sent into a full on panic attack.  My obsession with mouth noises might need to be taken care of by a therapist or something because it just keeps getting worse and worse....or maybe I'm just getting older.  Anyway I keep rambling so back to the story.
 Let me lay out my situation for you.  I live with two boys who are so sweet and kind and respectful.  They coined me princess of the palace and I am greeted in the morning with "good morning buttercup,"or "oh the lovely princess is up."  Let's be real, who wouldn't love to wake up to that greeting?  I love them and enjoy their company when we happen to be home at the same time.  I am subletting the biggest room from another guy who is a Broadway performer.
A sublet is supposed to be for when performers or people who leave town, but in this case it's very different. When I signed the sublease agreement in December I never planned on living with boys but it was my only option so I was not about to be homeless or couch surf any longer. The guy I'm subletting from told me when he would be gone, but that he was going to keep some of his stuff here and while he was in town he would be staying with his girlfriend.  I didn't think anything of it but his crap in the hallway never left and he started showing up every day just to chill.  Okay, still no big deal he was still in town, some of his stuff is still here...no big deal.  Well, then it turned into me living with 4 boys instead of just two because one was in transition and someone else was moving in and then the guy I was subletting from was sleeping on the couch almost every night in January. Clearly, I'm a little frustrated b/c I just don't get what is happening!

A few months later:
The first room I was in.  It was a very spacious apartment.    




I know it sounds like I am totally complaining but I'm really not.  Even though some things annoyed me I was just so thankful I had a place to lay my head but it was not an ideal situation because it never felt like "home."  It was someone else's room with their things and that was just not settling.  It was also just a weird situation like I described so I never really understood what was going on because I was just "passing through."  I never expected to stay at that sublet in Astoria for 9 months but I did and it always felt like I was in transition.  I think that was because that place felt like a revolving door.  Someone was always moving in because someone was moving out or going on tour or something like that.  The guy I was subletting from came back for good around March/April-ish and I moved into the front room because that guy was going to India.  Before I moved in to the front room I had to move out of the back room and move into the living room because the front room wasn't going to be available until May 15th.  Thankfully, I was coming home to SA for You're A Good Man Charlie Brown at Encino Park at the beginning of May so I didn't really have to couch surf except for a couple days when I got back until the room was ready. 
I took up a lot of space. 
My temporary home in the living room
While I was in the front room, I was living with a girl who moved in around February and one of her best friends that took the room I was in to begin with for a couple months.  Then, eventually, the girl left for a while to go back on tour and the guy in the back room moved out and the original leaser moved back in....see, a revolving door.  Everyone I lived with was super nice and I can't say anything bad about any of them (except for the mouth noises).  It was a community of "theatre people" who were always in transition so no one had signed a lease, we all paid with cash every month and the apartment was used to take care of each other in the theatre community.  I felt privileged to be a part of that for a bit and get a glimpse of life as a true performer.  It was eye opening, I met some really cool people and I did have fun.  I just chock this up to more life experience on this crazy adventure of mine.

Love,
Miss Gulley in Manhattan




No comments:

Post a Comment